Libel and Slander Verified Attorneys
Find Libel and Slander Lawyers Located in Popular Cities
Find Libel and Slander Lawyers by State
Libel and Slander Matters Require Legal Representation
If you think someone or a business damaged your good name or reputation, consider seeking the advice of an experienced libel and slander attorney.
The way a harmful statement is made differentiates it between libel and slander.. Libel is published. Slander is spoken. Although those distinctions are relatively clear cut, libel and slander cases are not as simple as one might think.
Defenses to both libel and slander include: the truth of the statement, accidental publication, and public figure status. Defenses can be complicated by the circumstance of the incident.
Case law, determined by previous libel and slander court rulings, influences the difficulty of a libel or slander claim to succeed, and affects the award of damages.
Legal technicalities that can turn a case for or against someone are well known by lawyers who practice in this area of law.
How a Libel and Slander Attorney Can Help
A libel and slander attorney can help you:
- Assess the circumstances involved
- Determine the strengths and weaknesses of your case
- Uncover facts that will benefit your case
- Devise a strategy based on knowledge of the law and legal theory
- Anticipate the strategy of the defending attorney
- Assess the harm done and the damages to be sought
- Determine the best way to proceed, such as a negotiating a settlement or going to trial
Click to learn about Libel and Slander Law on LawInfo.