Single Parent Adoption Verified Attorneys
Find Single Parent Adoption Attorneys Located in Popular Cities
Find Single Parent Adoption Attorneys by State
You may think that a single person is not eligible to adopt, but the fact is that single parent adoptions happen all the time. The goal of adoption is to provide a safe, nurturing environment for a child to grow up in, and if that environment happens to be with a single parent, single parent adoption is certainly an option.
The requirements and standards for a single person to adopt are the same as for married couples. The single person should be able to provide a safe, loving permanent home and provide for the child’s emotional needs.
Issues Surrounding Single Parent Adoption
While there is no legal reason a single parent cannot adopt, you may encounter certain obstacles depending upon the adoption agency you go through:
- An agency may refuse your adoption request or try to talk you out of it, or the birth mother may object.
- Couples may receive preferential treatment regarding matching the parent’s desires with the child’s needs, for example a couple may be offered a younger or healthier child before a single person is.
- You may be subject to more and more aggressive questioning and scrutiny by the adoption agency.
How a Single Parent Adoption Attorney Can Help You
If you are a single person considering adoption, a single-parent adoption attorney may help you:
- Identify agencies specializing in or proponents of single-parent adoption;
- Locate birth parents willing to consider a single adoptive parent and arrange a private adoption;
- Assist in preparing and presenting your application to adopt;
- Advise you on possible objections to your application and how to counter concern that a single parent cannot offer the financial security and stability of a two-parent home, or that the child will be deprived of perceived advantages of having a male and female parent.
To protect your rights as a potential single parent, it’s a good idea to hire a single parent adoption attorney. An attorney with expertise in single parent adoptions can help you navigate the issues and ease the process of adopting your child.
Click to learn about Single Parent Adoption Law on LawInfo.