Theft Verified Attorneys
Find Theft Lawyers Located in Popular Cities
Find Theft Lawyers by State
Theft is a crime prohibited by the laws of every state and the federal government. There are different categories of theft, ranging from petit to grand, from misdemeanor to felony level.
To commit theft a person must:
- Take the property of another person or entity, and
- Take the property with the intent to permanently deprive the person or entity of the property
Defenses to Theft
Some defenses to an accusation of theft include:
- There was no probable cause to arrest you
- You did not take the property in question
- You did not intend to permanently deprive someone of the property
- The value of the property taken is less than the value claimed
Why a Theft Attorney Is Important
Theft is a serious offense. If you have been charged with theft, it is important that you consult an attorney for advice on preparing your defense. If you are convicted of theft you can be incarcerated in prison and will have a permanent criminal record.
A criminal defense attorney can provide a multitude of services to assist you in your defense, including:
- Investigate the facts of your case to determine whether law enforcement had probable cause to arrest you
- Represent you at each stage of the prosecution of your case: arraignment, preliminary examination, pre-trial hearings, trial, and other court appearances
- Negotiate with the prosecutor to have the charge dismissed or reduced
- Where the facts of your case support it, negotiate with the prosecutor for a lighter sentence or probation in exchange for your guilty plea or plea of nolo contendere
- Represent you as your defense counsel at trial
Click to learn about Theft Law on LawInfo.