Do You Need to Set or Amend Your Child Support?
The amount of child support the noncustodial parent pays each month is determined by the court following state guidelines. They include each parent's income and assets and the amount needed to maintain the children's pre -divorce standard of living.
How a Child Support Lawyer Can Help
Whether initially setting the amount of child support or modifying the court order, the services of A San Francisco child support attorney well versed in family law and child support issues can be of great help. The attorney can help you gather documents and personal information to support your contention and advocate your position to the court.
Top Questions to Ask When Hiring an Attorney
- How many years have you been practicing law? How long have you practiced law in the local area?
- How many cases similar to mine have you handled in the past?
- What is the likely outcome for my case?
In legal practice, experience matters. An experienced attorney will likely have handled issues similar to yours many, many times. Therefore, after listening to your situation, the attorney should have a reasonable idea of the time line for a case like yours and the likely resolution.
What to Expect from an Initial Consultation
- Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
- It's important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
- Discuss how the practice's billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.
An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.