Riverside Intellectual Property Information
Are You in Need of an Intellectual Property Lawyer?
Intellectual property is anything created by a person that is an invention, design, or some other form of creative expression. a Riverside intellectual property lawyer will help people and businesses protect their intellectual property creations as well as guide people to not infringe on others intellectual property.
Different Types of Intellectual Property
While the term intellectual property may seem unfamiliar, the different protections of such property will sound much more recognizable. The most common intellectual property rights protections are copyrights, trademarks and patents.
A skilled Intellectual Property attorney will review what works you need to protect, and the best method of achieving that protection. You may need to trademark your logo or business name, or you may need to copyright a literary, artistic or musical work.
How an Attorney Can Help
An attorney can often resolve your particular legal issue faster and better than trying to do it alone. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, while avoiding costly mistakes or procedural errors. You should seek out an attorney whose practice focuses on the area of law most relevant to your issue.
Tips on Approaching an Initial Attorney Consultation
- Use the consultation as a means of gaining a better understanding of your legal situation.
- Ask the attorney how many cases similar to yours he/she has handled. An attorney's experience and knowledge can speak to their expertise (or lack of) in addressing your situation.
- Your attorney should be able to articulate roughly how long a case like yours will take to resolve and what sort of procedures to expect.
- Determine how comfortable you are working with the lawyer and/or law firm.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.
Common legal terms explained
Pro se - This Latin term refers to representing yourself in court instead of hiring professional legal counsel. Pro se representation can occur in either criminal or civil cases.
Statute - Refers to a law created by a legislative body. For example, the laws enacted by Congress are statutes.
Subject matter jurisdiction - Requirement that a particular court have authority to hear the claim based on the specific type of issue brought to the court. For example, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court only has subject matter jurisdiction over bankruptcy filings, therefore it does not have the authority to render binding judgment over other types of cases, such as divorce.
Lead Counsel Rated Attorneys
Lead Counsel's objective process independently verifies attorney records, conferring with state bars across the country and conducting annual reviews to confirm that the attorney practices in the legal categories as indicated, possesses a valid bar license, and is eligible to practice in the specific jurisdiction.